Monday, May 21, 2012

Go the f*** to sleep!

While being the title of a charming children's book written for adults (A book that my wife and I enjoy reading to each other occasionally before bed), to "Go the f***  to sleep" is what I would like to do. But alas... It is 3am in the morning and I am startled awake with a small foot digging into my rib cage and another small foot in my ear. I peer over to my wife only to find my daughter instead (Not knowing that hours before she had bailed on me and found a comfy hiding place in my daughters recently vacated bed... Well played my sweet... Well played!). In my wife's defense, my kids love their mommy and she usually gets the worst of this nighttime shuffle, having one of our 2 children plastered to her for the majority of the night (Not to mention that annoying husband of hers!).

This has been a normal pattern with our kids, taking turns each night invading our sleep. Although on some rare occasions we do get to enjoy our bed to ourselves... The other rare occasion finds both our kids on a nightmarish siege of our slumber like last night! I would like to understand my kids coma-gymnastics... For some reason they spin around and a round like a pin wheel with the ending result usually being a contorted human "H", leaving my wife and I with about 8 inches on either side of the bed and one limb or another hanging free off the side of the bed. So far all I can think of is that it is a way to snuggle with us both... Even if it's only a finger or forehead and a toe or maybe they are just trying to relive their infancy... Not realizing they have become foot long monkeys. Ugh! While I can do without having my allotted 5-7 hours of sleep each night interrupted, or hanging off the bed, and even having a little toe in an ear... I realize these moments will go away and a restless noise filled night will be replaced with silence and a lonesome sleep, and I will find myself missing those little feet.



-mark

No comments:

Post a Comment