Saturday, May 26, 2012

May 26: With friends

It's always nice to have "adult" conversations, (And I'm not talking about anything dirty, although stuff like that comes up sometimes), It's just refreshing to not be in "parent mode" or speaking on a kindergarten level. For those who are not familiar with "parent mode"... have a kid! It's really not that bad, really!... but watching your every move and the moves of your children, can be exhausting. So every now and again my wife and I (For our own mental health) have the pleasure of hosting other adults at our home... and get to feel like our normal selves for a little while. And instead of having internal conversations with our subconscious selves, we get to air it out! While I'm not overly concerned with my children being privy to these conversations... It takes too much effort to stop and explain things in-depth, every couple of sentences, so that a 4 year old can grasp what you're kind of talking about... but you're not sure they really do... and they're probably not sure they do... and what were you talking about anyways? I want them to be respectable human beings and treat other people with kindness and not just blurt out things that they heard in a casual conversation that, when taken out of context, could really offend someone. So the majority of the time we are on our best behavior.



All that aside, our kids love our friends and we love having our friends around... and it never happens enough anymore... but at least I can brag about having really great friends, that care about me and my family. And we get to all play music or have deep conversations... share a fantastic meal (Thanks Wunderbar!) and everyone has a good time and hopes that it will happen again really soon. That's how I like to end my weekend... with friends!

-mark

No comments:

Post a Comment