Tuesday, May 22, 2012

May 22: ¡Día de los amigos!

Today I was missing my friends. I don't have (Or make) the time to talk to them as often as I would like, let alone see them. So "out of the blue", at some point today, I decided to send random text messages to my friends, to let them now that I still appreciate them and that I was thinking of them. It felt nice to do and I thought it would be a nice practice... what if there was a day dedicated to appreciating your friends? That got me to thinking about  holidays and hanging out. And then I thought to myself... I know that holidays are a time to get together and celebrate with your family and friends, but it's to celebrate other things... what about celebrating friendships? I don't know why Hallmark didn't start that one. Most people only have one sweetie, (I mean how many sweeties can you really have? Never mind, I really don't want to know!) but think how many friends they have... that's a ton of cards. If I was making a holiday for profit, it would be "Friend Day".

But if we're going to make a holiday, let's do it right! First, in America we like to steal holidays that are supposed to be for other cultures and adopt them into our own... so it should have an ethnic name for flare... I know some Spanish, so let's make it something Spanish. How about ¡Día de los amigos! day ("Day for the friends")... kind of catchy, "Happy de los amigos", let's go with that. It should also carry a tradition of a signature drink. St. Patty's has green beer, Christmas has eggnog and Cinco de mayo has margaritas... maybe we should be a friend and just make it cheap beer! Then it's always so hard to get everyone together, so I don't think anyone should have to work on this holiday. But we know that will never happen, so maybe we make it a two day celebration... Friday and Saturday (Because how can you party on Sunday night? And you cross to much other traffic on Sundays). Now when would be a good time? There are so many more things to do in the summer, and I know that I hibernate when it's cold, so it should be a summer month. I just checked the holiday calendar... and August is wide open! Sounds good to me. Labor day is the first week of September... so... let's make it 2nd weekend in August. Alright, here it is so far... August 10th and 11th we celebrate "de los amigos" day. We get together with friends and drink cheap beer! (Wait, this is starting to sound like a normal summer weekend...).

What else can we do? Let's improve on some other holiday traditions. If we're going to send cards or emails and stuff, they should all be belated cards so we can't be upset when someone forgets... takes some of the pressure off... (Who wants to stress out their friends anyways?) Giving gifts can be nerve racking, but if you want to do that... let's say that we exchange gift cards. And not only that but we put them in a big dish and play competitive games... like beer pong or Texas hold em' to see who gets to grab the first gift card out of the "de los amigos" jar! If you don't bring a card to exchange, you don't get one... who cares, it can be that easy! We can greet each other with profanities, like real friends always do... like, "Hey Asshole! Happy de los amigos!". The rule of thumb for food should be, if it can't be microwaved or cooked in 30 min. it shouldn't be served! But at the end of the day(s) it should be about friends... spending time with them... letting them know you appreciate them... and just having a good time! Miss all you guys!

Happy belated ¡Día de los amigos!

-mark

No comments:

Post a Comment